WhatsApp UPI-Based Payments Rolling Out in India & How to Get Started
Earlier this week, Facebook-owned WhatsApp started digital payments system in India with only limited beta users. Now, the company has rolled out the feature for everyone.
The payment service has a partnership with NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India) and integrated with BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money). The payments will be work UPI (Unified Payments Interface) but for now, it is only showing the list of banks and also the bank account that is linked, but the account is not getting added. This indicates the final stage of inclusion of WhatsApp payments system on the Android app.
Image of WhatsApp UPI-Based Payments Support Bank List
How to get WhatsApp Payments right now
Like we said earlier, the WhatsApp payments feature is rolling out to select Beta users in India right now. First, make sure you are running the latest version of the app, that’s v2.18.41 on Android and iPhone v2.18.22. Open any WhatsApp chat and see if you see the new Payments sub-head under Settings. If you do, great, you now have access to WhatsApp’s UPI-based payments feature. If not, you have no other option but to wait.
How to add bank accounts for WhatsApp Payments
Here’s how you can add your bank account to WhatsApp and get started with the payments feature:
- Go to Settings -> Payments inside WhatsApp.
- In the Bank Accounts sub-head, select the Add New Account option.
- Tap Accept and Continue if you agree to the T&C.
- Tap the Verify via SMS and follow the prompts to send an SMS to start the linking process.
- On the next screen, select the bank whose account you want to add.
- If you have an account or multiple accounts linked to the number that you just sent the SMS from, you will be presented with your account (or accounts) from that bank.
- If everything goes smoothly, you will see the UPI Setup Complete screen.
You can also repeat these steps to add multiple bank accounts to WhatsApp.
As you can see above, the process is quite simple and takes only a few taps to complete. If you want to switch between accounts, you just need to tap on the bank account while sending money and you will see the list of linked accounts to switch between.
WhatsApp will maintain a log of all your payment transactions – the money you sent and the money you received – using the Payments option under Settings. To check the log, just go to Settings, tap on Payments and select the View History option.